Investment Risk Manager
RWC Partners is a firm established in 2000 and is currently going through a period of rapid growth. The firm’s investment strategy spread from Long Only Equity following active management approaches on a global scale to Convertible Bonds and multi asset strategies.
With offices in London, Miami, Singapore and Tampa, RWC manages c. $24.2bn and employs around 151 people.
The Risk, Performance and Analytics team is relatively small giving the potential candidate a high amount of exposure across the business and a level of autonomy rarely available to candidates in larger houses.
The department / Investment Risk
Risk, Performance and Analytics (RPA) team performs the risk management activities, performance attribution and quantitative analysis functions in RWC. RPA function is a key and integral part of the firm-wide risk management and product governance processes.
RPA’s primary responsibility is to ensure that the risks in the portfolios managed by RWC are fully understood by our portfolio managers and consistent with our investor’s objectives; and to know the risks and performance drivers by thoroughly understanding the investments and providing the best analytics.
The team uses an array of tools to calculate and attribute risk and performance metrics, which calculation we try to automate as much as possible so that our team members spend more of their time understanding the risks in the portfolios which may not be captured by standard risk models. This includes ad hoc analyses and sometimes the development of analytics tools either used by the team or deployed to the fund manager for their own use.
The team is also involved in providing advice to portfolio managers on risk matters and portfolio construction. Communication/interaction with fund managers is encouraged and happens on ongoing basis.
As well as investment risk, RPA team assists in identifying counterparty and regulatory risks throughout the firm.
We are looking for a candidate with a solid quantitative and communication skills to join RPA team.
The role will involve broad ownership of group of funds and investment strategies with requirement to escalate concerns and highlight the levels/split of risk and performance drivers to senior management including the Head of Risk, Performance and Analytics. The nature of the role demands a quantitative mindset, programming ability and good knowledge of derivatives.
A strong understanding of fund risks and risk/performance systems, as well as the strengths and weaknesses of them will be a significant advantage.
- Ensuring the creation / analysis of regular risk and performance attribution reports for use by the Fund Managers, CEO, Head of Investment strategies and other senior managers.
- Taking an active role and be accountable for identifying, measuring and communicating to senior management the investment and non-investment risks that RWC and our clients are exposed to
- Understanding the factors impacting the portfolios and managing those risks
- Escalating issues to senior management
- Performing ad-hoc analyses and reporting to help address real-time demands of senior managers and Fund managers
- Creative approach to coming up with different ways to slice up risk and performance or create new, insightful analysis on funds.
- Helping define the analytical and risk management needs for adequately monitoring risks.
- Liaising with IT to develop new systems/feeds and enhance existing feeds. This may include investigating the data requirements for new instrument types, sourcing this data and testing the risk output.
- Helping execute RWC’s regulatory obligations under UCITS/40 Act and AIFMD.
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills/experience:
- Working knowledge of the financial markets, with expertise in equity and fixed income products
- Working knowledge of methods used in managing portfolio risk, as well as other portfolio analysis
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of derivatives (types, valuation/pricing, risks)
- Working knowledge of Bloomberg, FactSet, UBS PAS, Axioma, Barra or similar systems beneficial
- Advanced Excel /VBA required, knowledge of python and / or R, SQL very beneficial
- Ambition and drive to learn, innovate and grow with our business
- “Can-do” attitude and strong team work and communication skills
A minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience