The Maritime team is part of Hayfin Capital Management. Since inception in 2009, Hayfin has invested more than €23bn of capital across more than 370 portfolio companies. The firm was founded with the ambition of creating one of Europe’s leading investment platforms and delivering best-in-class risk-adjusted returns. Hayfin is headquartered in London and also has offices in Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Madrid, Milan, New York, Paris and Tel Aviv and employs approximately 160 people. BCI, one of the five largest Canadian pension plans, is the majority shareholder in Hayfin.
The firm is entrepreneurial with a dedicated focus on originating, executing and managing investments within the maritime sector – primary lending, secondary loan/portfolio acquisitions/trading and special situations including asset/corporate (private equity) acquisitions. The Maritime team seeks an associate to support investment analysis, origination, structuring and execution of both debt and equity investments as well as portfolio reporting and risk management efforts.
The Associate will:
· Build detailed and flexible financial models to evaluate firm/asset operating performance with a special focus on credit metrics and the impacts of different capital structures.
· Complete detailed write ups demonstrating a firm grasp of credit, asset and structural considerations for investment committee review
· Complete detailed sector analysis within shipping markets (across dry bulk, tanker, container and gas)
· Complete detailed sector theme reports – energy transition within maritime sector as an example
· Support the Head of Credit with all requirements related to portfolio management and reporting (monthly and quarterly).
· Support fund raising efforts with preparation of financial models and pitchbooks
· Support presentations to investment committee
The ideal candidate will have:
· A B.A. degree in business, finance or economics.
· 3-5 years’ experience at a top; commercial/investment bank (equity research, credit analytics, fixed income research), ship owner, trading house.
· Direct investment/lending experience within the maritime sector
· A firm grasp of debt/equity capital markets, structured & ship finance and direct investing.
· Advanced Excel skills and very strong corporate modeling and financial valuation skills.
· Strong quantitative and organizational skills.
· Strong communication skills
· An acute attention to detail and a willingness to perform routine tasks
· A desire to build a career within the maritime/ship finance sector.