Investment Director, Climate Funds – Infrastructure and Climate Funds
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion.
- In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two years.
- In 2020 we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with likeminded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 450 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
The Infrastructure & Climate portfolio represents nearly US$2.4bn of capital, including approximately US$500m of current investment in the Funds’ portfolio. CDC has announced its climate investment ambitions by committing at least 30% of annual investment commitments to climate finance. The Infrastructure & Climate Group is responsible for leading our efforts in four areas:
- Equity: offer long-term capital to support profitable growing businesses, either existing developers/companies or to form platforms addressing material gaps in the market.
- Funds: support investment teams with either differentiated or complementary strategies and approaches to CDC’s local markets or to deliver innovative solutions within our markets.
- Project Finance: provide limited recourse, long-term financing to support a range of projects towards the end of development cycle in challenging markets.
- Energy Access & Efficiency: extend flexible access to credit to companies that promote energy access through decentralised energy solutions or resource efficiency solutions.
- The role will lead CDC’s growing ambitions within the Climate Funds business through origination, structuring, execution and monitoring of new climate-themed funds and investment vehicles that meet CDC’s commercial and development impact criteria.
- The role is focussed on establishing and managing a portfolio of mitigation, adaptation and cross-cutting strategies investing across CDC’s core geographies of Africa and South Asia.
- We have 7 titles in CDC’s title structure: PA/EA, Associate, Executive, Manager, Director, Managing Director. This role will report to the Head of Infrastructure & Climate Funds.
- Originate investment opportunities utilising your own and CDC’s relationships with fund managers, climate-themed investors, DFIs and other networks, and in co-operation with CDC’s other Infrastructure & Climate investment teams, Climate Change Strategy team, as well as other relevant departments.
- Develop/maintain a network of relevant climate-themed contacts with fund manager, commercial banks, investment banks, investors, DFIs, multilateral institutions, advisors, consultancy and research firms.
- Lead and manage deal teams through sharing of experience and implementation of best practices in climate investing for both origination and portfolio management.
- Along with the team, be responsible for CDC achieving and evolving the aims identified in CDC’s next 5-year strategy related to Climate Funds in addition to broader Infrastructure & Climate initiatives.
- Manage deal origination (funds, intermediated structures and co-investments), Investment Committee process, transaction execution, portfolio construction and post-investment monitoring.
- Innovate approaches / develop solutions to address climate market gaps and complement existing products in support of CDC’s advancement into new climate-finance markets and investment opportunities.
- Enhance climate change mitigation, adaptation and resilience thought leadership throughout CDC’s broader funds portfolio, the Infrastructure and Climate team, more broadly across CDC’s business.
- Provide visibility and thought leadership to CDC’s Climate Funds business by liaising with market participants, participating in conferences, understanding environmental regulation/policy and engaging with key stakeholders.
- Contribute to market-mappings and strategy, where relevant, in cooperation with the Infrastructure & Climate Group teams, Climate Change team, and other relevant departments.
Background, skills, aptitude
- A demonstrable background and expertise in evaluating investable climate-related projects, preferably within an investment or transacting role or another DFI, and preferably focussed on emerging markets.
- Proven track record of originating, structuring and closing climate-themed fund investments or intermediated vehicles and or co-investment / direct investments in challenging environments/markets.
- Management experience of leading deal teams and hands-on management of transactions with the capability to nurture the development of team members.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (climate, finance, economics, business administration) is desirable, but is not a prerequisite.
- Climate investment product knowledge including an understanding of market practices, environmental regulation/policy, changing in themes/approaches across emerging market economies.
- Strong market knowledge and deep networks within the climate investment space, ideally within an emerging market context.
- Excellent investment acumen, climate financial knowledge, structuring skills (including blended finance), conducting due diligence, legal terms.
- Effective interpersonal and negotiation skills as well as strong written and verbal communication abilities.
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application