Internal Auditor Manager
Job Purpose Statement
An individual is required to fill a vacancy in the Internal Audit team. The post reports to the regional Head of Audit, will be responsible for performing a combination of risk assessments, process and control reviews either individually or together with other team members across Front, Middle and Back Office Operations as well as the Support Group functions.
The team provides independent assessment and advice on the control and risk implications of the firm’s activities. This is achieved most traditionally through the carrying out of internal audit reviews, but also through the involvement in business development projects, special investigations, and regular and proactive liaison with assigned business areas.
The individual will be required to be fully committed to the methodology employed by the function to ensure that real business benefit and buy in is obtained through the delivery of a very high-quality audit product and service. This will provide the successful individual with the opportunity to build strong relationships and reputations within a broad range of business areas and management levels.
Equally important will be the need to be a committed team player within the firm’s Lines of Defence and will involve close ties with Risk and Compliance, Legal and Finance. Indeed, the Lines of Defence are careful to ensure that work flows are, where appropriate, integrated to ensure that an optimum product is delivered to the business. This will provide the individual the opportunity not only to develop their audit-based skills, but also to build up experience of compliance, risk and governance matters.
- Execute and lead complex sections of the annual audit plan:
- Focussed background research and planning
- Drafting and distribution of audit planning memorandum, risk evaluation and detailed work programmes
- Completion of detailed work programmes and testing
- Ensure that audit recommendations are in accordance with “best practice” but also consider whether they are practical and commercially viable. Where there is doubt discuss the detail with peers and internal audit management.
- Where required, management and leadership of staff for delivery of assigned audits and reviews.
- Expanded knowledge / understanding across multiple lines of business, and / or knowledge understanding in critical subject matter area
- A summary of issues for presentation at the closing meeting with auditee management
- A logical audit file for peer / manager review and presentation to external auditors
- Drafting and finalisation quality audit report
- Review/investigate management advised closure of actions to ensure adequate implementation to address the original risk identified
- Assist in the administration of SOX 404 testing and walkthrough in line with process methodology
- Assist in the production of departmental reporting and management information.
- Maintain relevant relationships with internal audit counterparts at significant outsource providers through the compliance, audit and risk (car meetings) which are part of the 3rd party outsource provider governance framework
- Deputise or attend, where applicable and required for the head of internal audit at governance forums / committees and steering committees globally.
Due to the high-profile nature of the role, an individual with previous practical Risk Management / Audit Management experience (ideally within the Financial Services industry) is sought. Involvement in project-based work would also be beneficial. The following core skills / competencies are required:
- Strong communication skills, ability to analyse situations and present a balanced summary of issues, risks and actions.
- Possess a structured approach to problem solving and a clear and concise approach to report writing.
- Be self-motivated and organise and execute projects independently when working as part of a team
- Experience of Financial Services / Asset Management with an understanding of: financial products (funds and fund structures) & services and operating models.
- Operations, compliance and finance knowledge
- The ability to provide an effective, leading edge and value-added assurance and advisory service through demonstrating a well-developed commercial and regulatory awareness.
- The ability to manage relationships in key areas of the organisation and participate in reporting to senior management on key risks faced by the business.
- Knowledge of ISAE 3402 / SOC1 / SSAE 16 / SOX 404 controls testing and reporting.
- Proactive approach to understanding and keeping abreast of industry and regulatory developments.
- Accountancy, Internal Audit (CIA, ACA, ACCA) or similar financial services qualification.
- Experience either with a professional firm of accountants (ideally focused on financial services) or with the Internal Audit of another Financial Institution
- Logical approach, analytical ability, considerable initiative and knowledge of Asset Management processes is an advantage. In addition, knowledge of the underlying products traded, and their control reporting requirements is required.
- Commitment to continual professional development.
About Columbia Threadneedle Investments
Columbia Threadneedle Investments is a leading global asset manager that provides a broad range of actively managed investment strategies and solutions for individual, institutional and corporate clients around the world. With more than 2000 people including over 450 investment professionals based in North America, Europe and Asia, we manage over £400 billion of assets across developed and emerging market equities, fixed income, asset allocation solutions and alternatives. Our priority is the investment success of our clients. We know investors want strong and repeatable risk-adjusted returns and we aim to deliver this through an active and consistent investment approach that is team-based, risk-aware and performance-driven.