The SEO Advance programme has been launched!
On Saturday 2nd September, we had the privilege of seeing the first results of a year of programme development and some very hard work with the launch of SEO Advance, SEO London's groundbreaking new secondary school programme!
Since 2012, SEO London has have worked with Year 11-13 students from across London in an attempt to broaden access and insight to some of country's most prestigious and most underrepresented industry areas and universities; through insight days and work experience placements in such industries as Corporate Law, Investment Banking and Consulting, alongside bespoke university open days at Russell Group universities, exclusive training opportunities and mentoring by professionals, we have aimed to show that career success and academic aspiration should never be determined by a child's socioeconomic circumstances.
The SEO Advance programme was designed to take the best of our secondary school programming and enhance it to offer students from underrepresented backgrounds the chance to explore top industry areas and university environments in order to determine which career paths and study options are right for them.
Advance offers an innovative 3-year structure to reach these outcomes. Our 50 students join the programme at the start of Year 11 and take part in a curriculum comprising 5 elements:
1) Work experience insight days across multiple industry areas, increasing to longer placements in Year 13 in the industry of their choice;
2) University open days at institutions such as Oxford, Cambridge, Southampton and Birmingham, where they network with current students and take part in sample academic sessions;
3) Workshops and training in technical, industry-specific skills, as well as holistic personal development coaching in goal setting, building resilience, and developing networks;
4) Fostering a sense of community and giving back through community outreach and voluntary work;
5) Mentoring by industry professionals and university students, many of whom are alumni of SEO London's programmes.
The SEO Advance programme is generously sponsored and supported by top firms across a range of industries, including Barclays, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, BlackRock, Columbia Threadneedle Investments, Alpha Financial Markets Consulting, the Royal Academy of Engineering and AMV BBDO.
We had a fantastic day meeting and training the inaugural cohort of the SEO Advance programme, who comprise an outstanding group of ambitious, open-minded and diverse young people. By equipping these students with the skills and knowledge needed to excel in their future career and study paths, we know they will become the industry leaders of tomorrow!